I curse, struggle, swear (quietly) and then return to the land of humans spent and crusty. Finally this year I decided to try to change that, even if only slightly.
Originally I hadn't thought much of it - I had the screens mounted flush with the outside of the cinder blocks, and would crawl up to each one under the cabin and push foam into the space behind them. Or pull it out, depending on the season.
|The original setup - screen flush with the outside of the blocks.|
|Assembling my tools.|
|Looks about right for going down below.|
A few days later, I lay down a tarp in the corner of the cabin under the porch, and crawled up to the screen. It took a bit of work with a hammer and elbow grease, but I managed to break the outer screens off the blocks and clean them up. Then I measured some cedar board to line the entire cavity, and spray foamed around them to try to ensure a good seal.
|Tearing out the old screen.|
|The new screen was too tight, I had to flex it into position. Hopefully unintended consequences of this don't return to bite me.|
|Boxed in nicely, ready for the outside foam plugs.|
If only I could figure out a way to drain the water lines without having to go under the cabin either. If only...