Wednesday, January 18, 2017

A Leaky Chimney? Or Condensation?

Last year, before we installed the ceiling, we noticed a few times where water would occasionally seem to drip in behind the stove from somewhere near the stovepipe.  I thought that perhaps it was condensation forming up in the chimney cone and running back down.

I hoped that it would be cured by finishing the ceiling and packing the cone with insulation.  As usual, reality wasn't in my favour.

We've been having a bit of a warm spell lately, and the snow on the roof is actually melting off rapidly.

I happened to glance up at the top of the inside stove pipe the other day, and noticed that one of the boards alongside it was fairly water stained.  Closer examination showed it to actually drip once or twice.
Hmmm, that doesn't look like it has always been like that.
I sighed, and then took the family out for a snowshoe walk through the ravine to try to clear my head.

When I returned, I headed up into the attic and found a slow drip, drip onto the Roxul stone wool packed up there.  I simply added a large can to catch the drips, and I assume that there must be a slight leak around the cone somewhere.

Looks fine from back here.

Oh wait, there's some water there.

Oh, and some obvious water dripping off the insulation.  Rats.
 When my brother comes to visit, I'll try to convince him to go up with the caulking gun and do some touchup in exchange for A (i.e. one) beer.

In the meantime, things look dry again, especially in light of the fact that all the snow around the chimney has disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment