Tuesday, November 29, 2016

More Sauna Adjustments to Prevent Scorched Wall

So, as faithful readers know, I have been engaged in an ongoing campaign to ensure that the sauna stove doesn't end up burning down the sauna itself.

Once again, even after trying to insulate the wood from the heat of the stove by putting tiles between the metal plate and the wood, I found a creeping darkness working its way up from the top of the stove.
I don't like the look of the shadows here.
I loosened off the plate at the top of the stove, and then used a screwdriver to peel off the centre three tiles.
Sorry for potato quality.  Lots of ash on the back of the tiles.

Looks a bit rotten down there behind the steel.
Then I used my reciprocating saw to cut the cedar v-joint up about eight inches higher.

Haven't used this baby for awhile!
You can see that the v-joint was getting pretty scorched.  Rats.

Toasted.  Nicely toasted.
More bad news here. 
I lifted the foil and the logs in behind didn't show any new scorching.
I packed the space with some Roxul, and then replaced the two small tiles with two large ones from my spare pile for around the woodstove.

A split batt of Roxul insulation.
And fit in where the v-joint previously rested.
Some caulking to hold the tiles in place.
Looks okay, but they tilt away from the wall.
A couple of washers on screws to hold the tiles in place, and I was back in business!

A few washers and screws to hold them in place.  Maybe to be upgraded with something more aesthetic someday.
Looking okay again now - but for how long?
Of course, this past sauna, I still found the wood above these tiles, and the tiles themselves, too hot to touch.  Rats!  I'll see how long it takes before the wood starts to go off, and then move onto an every more drastic plan.  :(

Bonus picture of a cold morning inside the cabin.

No comments:

Post a Comment