Monday, August 15, 2016

Filling the Woodshed AKA Revisiting the Norwood Log Arch

Now that the shed is finished and Grandpa has been ploughing through my loose pile of dry wood, I felt I could try to get out to the bush on a not so rainy day and skid in a few logs that had been out there for a year or more.

Last year Grandpa cut down a huge birch tree that must have suffered a lightening strike early on in its lifetime.  He cut off the upper branches, which were large in their own right, leaving a seven foot log of imposing weight and size.

I brought the arch back to it, but together we realized that it was still too large.  Grandpa volunteered to try to use my electric chainsaw to split it into two smaller logs.  In the meantime, I used the winch on the ATV to pull up the upper branches into a better position for me to skid out with the arch.

Starting out small.
I was able to get some of the less desirable logs hauled to the new woodshed, and then the remainder I took up to the mill.

Got a few ready for cutting up, and still able to make my getaway around the shed!  No need to back up!

Kenny channeling his inner log driver.
After I left with the last of the birch logs, Grandpa felled another large, dead but standing jack pine.  Today I returned to haul it out too.  First off I took two eight foot logs from the top, where they were too punky to be of use for lumber.

That's right, I can do TWO AT ONCE!

Still some good wood in the centre.
Then I managed to use the arch to pull out the remaining twenty four foot log.  It had some good solid wood still in the core that I'm confident can produce a few two by fours for me.  It was quite a job to thread it through the narrow trails in the bush, and even more of a nail biter to try to drag it between the car and the truck to the mill!  Again, the Norwood arch performed really, really well.  I would never have been able to get the trees out as easily, or as cleanly, or on my own schedule without it.  I'm quite pleased with the purchase thus far.

A tight fit!
Finally I began cutting and splitting the birch from earlier.  I was very surprised to find that it was still soaking wet in the centre!  It had been cut over a year ago, and wasn't resting in a swamp or anything like that...  Oh well, I guess I just have to start piling it around the outside of the woodshed to burn NEXT winter.

Mixing golf with blueberry picking.

The fruits of Kenny and Donna's labour!

No comments:

Post a Comment