Saturday, April 16, 2016

We Have A Ceiling!

Oh happy day!  A week ago my parents arrived from the (sunny?) south to help me complete the last major work in the cabin.

Nana and Kenny were able to connect through his lessons and a shared love of her iPad :).  Papa and I were able to spend almost all of our time doing the remaining work on the cabin that required scaffolding.

Ranta Construction had agreed to let me rent their scaffolding for a week or so, and it was a real boon to our work.

We first set it up down at the kitchen/stove end of the cabin and worked our way in behind the stovepipe.  Papa was on the scaffolding for the most part, and I was cutting the boards to fit.  Kenny was our official photographer, and I think he did an awesome job.  I'll not post all of his 250+ photos, but try to pick a few choice ones.

Yes Papa, the stovepipe is probably a bit dirty.
Every project begins with the first board.
Fine tuning that all important first board.
Precision blueprints to ensure the best fit!
With random lengths, sooner or later you're going to get a joint like this.
The collar around the chimney really finishes it off!
Once you have the technique down pat, you can really cover ground (ceiling?) quickly!
And coming at it from a different angle.  Nana provides advice.  Also, can you spot the third person in this picture?

Ripping with a circular saw.
Now we're really close!
Remounting the clothes airing rack.  I changed this up a bit by adding pulleys directly to the rack and tying off the rope up at the ceiling again.  This made the load twice as easy to raise and lower.
Installing the collar retention devices to make the fan safer.
Installing some trim.
Haters gonna hate.  Channeling my inner DiCaprio.
It was pretty disruptive having the scaffolding set up for five days, assembling it at one end of the cabin and then dismantling it to move it to the other end, then dismantling it again to return it to the first end, before finally taking it apart and returning it.

We did have the scaffolding on casters but if you may recall, there is a large, laminated beam in the centre of the cabin at about eight feet.  So we had to remove the top section of the scaffolding to be able to roll it down to the far end of the cabin.  Due to the nature of the v-joint panelling we were installing we couldn't quite finish the paneling in one direction without full access to the area to be paneled in the other direction.

Kenny showing off that he can move the (very heavy) table all by himself!
Papa did a fantastic job adding some simple trim in the corners, as well as trimming in the upper windows.  Everything up there looks just totally awesome!  Now it inspires me to continue working on my other jobs.

The best part though - seeing Nana and Papa again.  They are well loved here on the homestead!

No comments:

Post a Comment