Thursday, December 10, 2015

My Version Of A WETT Compliant Heat Shield

We've had our stove and chimney checked out twice by the local chimney sweeps/installers and they have been very helpful in pointing out shortcomings and possible improvements to our installation.

Just this past spring they were out to add a foot to the height of the chimney, as well as replace the original silicone roof boot with a metal one that would be WETT certified.

While we don't currently intend to entertain house insurance, it is personally worth striving to be compliant with their safety standards.

One item that I was willing to tackle myself was replacing the heat shield behind our stove with something permanent and of proper sizing.  Originally we had simply brought in the standup shield we were using in the yurts, and it has served us well for the past number of seasons.  But, it was far too small and easily removeable shields are not able to qualify for WETT certification (and, by extension, insurance).

There were a few stipulations that I could recall - it had to be between 1 and 3 inches off the floor, extend 18 inches beyond each side of the stove, and extend a certain number of inches above the stovetop.  I can't at the moment remember this figure, but I know I'm way beyond that.

It's very handy that the stove is almost exactly thirty-six inches wide.  I ordered up some standard roof steel that is itself thirty six inches of coverage.  Two of them side-by-side give me seventy-two inches of width.  That gives me the eighteen inches on either side nearly perfectly!

It was also a requirement that the heat shield not be installed directly to the wall, but that it needs to be screwed to something else, that is in turn screwed to the wall.  You can't even use long screws to finish the install as they could conduct heat from the head of the screw directly into the wood of the wall.

So, I ordered four sheets of my steel.

I installed two of them directly to the wall, and then installed the remaining two to the first two with the coloured (black) side facing out.  The ribs were oriented vertically, mostly because I thought that would look the nicest and collect the least dust, but another key consideration is that according to code, your air channels must be vertical and unobstructed.

Checking how things look.
A few pieces of scrap wood to space off the floor the three inches.
Extending out to both sides of the stove.
Three inch screws should give a solid mount.

While installing the second layer with the black facing out, I used small black screws (leftover from assembling my chimney) in the valleys and they disappeared from view, leaving a nice, consistent surface.  All my holes I pre-drilled though, as this material only came in 26 gauge steel, which is pretty stiff to just lean a screw into.

To me it looks quite good and finished - but the real test will be what Donna thinks!


Looking okay for the first sheet.
The second sheet really finishes the look.
Good from this side.
Coming together from here.
A view through behind.

1 comment:

  1. Great work! You may not need insurance but you need to be safe for you and your precious family. Enjoy following your progress.
    Best wishes for a wonderful holiday season that is full of good health and happiness. :D

    ReplyDelete