Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Installing A Bit More Paneling, Reminded Of The Law Of Unintended Consequences.

The arrival of the kitchen cabinets from Ikea the other day prompted even more pressure on me to find space in an already overwhelmed cabin.

Luckily the way Ikea flat packs all their products certainly takes up far less space than one would even expect.  22 boxes and a sink prompted me to bring the truck to pick it all up, and then it was with bemusement that I realized that even our little Echo could have easily handled the entire load.

Even with the pressure to get the kitchen installed, I decided that perhaps my time would be better spent trying to slightly reduce the pile of siding that had been sitting in the middle of the cabin floor for a few weeks now.

I worked my way up higher on the west wall of the cabin, eventually matching the height of the panelling I had installed on the wall beside the stairs.  This made me realize that the boards on the staircase wall should be installed before the ones on the west wall, as the strapping in the corner was arranged with that order in mind (If I installed the west wall first, then the staircase wall wouldn't reach the strap in the corner for nailing or support).

And so I decided to put up a few boards on the staircase wall, leading up past the loft floor and one or two boards up the outer wall of the guest bedroom in the loft.

This had the side effect of covering up the gap between the loft floor and the top of our bedroom wall.  Donna had been complaining gently for some time that at night the gap was allowing light from the staircase light to come into our bedroom, disturbing her sleep.
You can see the gap about to disappear forever!
It was also easy to see how the existing paneling had darkened over the years, compared to the new paneling I was installing.
A whiter shade of pale for these boards!
One thing I have been doing as I panel interior walls is to add insulation between the studs.  This has the hopeful effect of reducing sound from room to room, as well as allowing us to better regulate the temperature by simply shutting doors.

As I started to put down boards over the studs of the loft wall, I was annoyed to discover large gaps along the sides of the batts.  I was taken back to when I was first building the wall and succumbed to the suggestion to space my studs out slightly wider than normal so that I could save myself the milling or purchase of any extras.  Sigh.  Unintended consequence.  It has put me of a mind to stop skimping or trying to do things non-standard (entire lifestyle notwithstanding :).
Ugh, these gaps are annoying!
Readers know that I seem to have lots of extra insulation from other projects, so I packed the gaps with closed cell foam, and will do so up to the top of the wall, so it shouldn't be a huge problem, although I have to admit that it is a challenge to get the batts to stand up without a friction fit.

I managed to get enough boards on to keep the batts in place, and then repiled the remaining pile against the shelf under the television.  Now I had enough space to move on to assembling the kitchen cabinets!  But that, is another story...

No comments:

Post a Comment