Thursday, October 2, 2014

Installing the Steel on the Porch Roof - Another Lesson in the Law of Unanticipated Consequences

Over the course of a week or so, I finally was able to get cracking on installing the steel on the porch roof.

It was nice to have clear weather to do this - I did it mostly on my own, as it really wasn't a job well suited for two people, and J! was busy with his own machinations.

Cutting steel with a circular saw is an incredibly noisy affair.  I highly, highly recommend good ear protection!

The corners were somewhat tricky.  I mostly guessed about how close to come with each sheet, cutting them just slightly off from a 45 degree angle.  This was because they were a compound angle - meeting at a right angle when viewed directly from above, but obviously needing more material as they moved out from the cabin because they were also sloping downwards.  About an inch more material every two feet or so was close enough in most cases.

I anticipate being able to mask my jagged and inconsistent cuts with the hip caps later.



One of my fears was just how much sunlight the porch roof was going to block, and that it would make the inside of the cabin really dreary.  So far this has not been the case.  The upstairs windows still let light in, and we get the morning and evening sunlight just fine.  I put up the steel without installing a fascia board, and Donna has asked me not to bother installing one, as it does mean that light can come in between the rafters too.

An unanticipated side effect of the additional steel in the back corner of the cabin is that it seemed to interfere with our Canopy internet.  Moments after I rounded the corner under the Canopy dish, our internet began to get progressively worse and worse.

I actually went as far as to remove most of the steel around that corner, but at the time it seemed to have little effect (to the positive), so I ruled it out as the cause of the problem, and instead chalked it up to an (unlikely) coincidence.



After a week and a half (TBayTel has pretty underwhelming response times in my personal experience), the fellow came out and switched us to a Yagi antenna and blamed the new roof for our issues.

Here's crossing my fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment