In between the other obstacles, and naps, I managed to spend a couple of solid days plugging away at the slab pile down by the sawmill. It took much longer than I expected! At least I had the ATV and trailer running well and was able to use the trailer to haul away the cut up slabs.
For now I cut them up by laying them across two metal sawhorses, strapping them onto both of the sawhorses, and then cutting one end and then the other. I alternated to prevent the weight from moving off centre and tipping over the whole thing. Finally I cut between the supports and repeated the process.
Well, except for breaks.
And a second break. It was certainly the highlight to have Kenny and Donna come to visit, especially when they brought a cool drink of water.
Eventually I was able to nearly fill my largest woodshed with all these slabs - that's a nice feeling. But I still have three more to go before winter, and that's assuming that I'll burn much less wood this year if I can improve the overall insulation of the sauna and cabin.
A nice side effect of cutting up the slab pile was that after having sat for so long, the slabs readily gave up their bark. I had so much bark coming off of them that I was able to spread it around the sawmill site in a manner that smoothed out the landscape slightly. I'll see if this can continue.
Wait! That's not where those are to go!