Friday, September 20, 2013

Testing The Sauna Stove

Things were far enough along now that we could bring the sauna stove over closer to its final position.
Grandpa and I loaded it into the bucket of the tractor, and then I followed along while he drove it from the dojo tent to the sauna.

With a clunk, it unceremoniously dropped from the bucket as soon as I tried to adjust the ratchet straps.




Fortunately it was close enough to where we wanted to fire it that we didn't really have to move it again.
I filled her up with some chunks of surplus building materials, and then went back to work.

Returning later, I opted to help it along with some vigorous blowing.  It wasn't that my fire went out (that's not to say my fires never go out - on the contrary, they often do!) - it just needed a bit of a boost to burn in a hot and timely fashion.

It smoked merrily away, and the paint on the outside cured with a nasty stink that I was glad wasn't deposited inside the sauna.

We got it up to what Grandpa deemed to be a decent burn, and then let it go out.  Soon we would be prepared to actually get it installed in place!

2 comments:

  1. Wanted to ask about this stove:

    - Homemade or purchased?
    - Firebrick inside?
    - Baffled?

    Any information you could post would be appreciated (including dimensions)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was purchased from a fellow who builds them locally. I have not installed firebrick, it was made with very thick steel. I will leave a few inches of ash on the bottom at all times. It is baffled inside, yes.
      It is about 14x14x24 I would say. We wanted to keep it fairly small.

      Delete