Friday, July 19, 2013

Framing the Sauna Roof

With my parents gone, Grandpa and I returned to the sauna with visionary ideas about the roofline and techniques which would be required to assemble it.


Grandpa, with his continued penchant for dancing a jig while up high, volunteered to put up the first few challenging rafters.



With the corner rafters and ridge board in place, I made short work of a "test" rafter for the porch.  I cut them at six feet long, and using my square, notched a 3" by 1" corner to rest on the top of the cabin wall.  Then I braced this up with a spare two by four from my rough cut pile.  I ultimately braced three porch rafters on each side in a similar fashion.

It would be hard to understate the usefulness of bar clamps on a project like this.  I'm currently coming around to upgrading my bar clamps to high quality versions as my cheap ones break.

After a particularly hot and humid day, it was very refreshing to take Grandpa up on his offer to take us to camp for a swim and sauna.  Kenny even got in some fishing and watergazing.

With two corner rafters up, it was getting more easy to see how well the roof lines were coming along.

Also, when I knew that things looked okay, it was a green light to precut all the rafters for the porch.

Now we could really get down to business putting up the main roof rafters.  They were just a shade over eight feet long.  We put them on sixteen inch centers, two screws at each end to hold them in place.


With a few more porch rafters in place, I put up a fascia board to dress things up.  I didn't bevel the ends of the rafters to be vertical, imagining that the angle would help keep the ends of the rafters from getting much exposure to the elements.  This would be fine, but I question its value now, considering the mental gymnastics involved in calculating the angles at the corners, and further imagining how I will connect support posts in the future.  On the cabin I think I will return to a vertical fascia.

I also have to puzzle out how to add a support or two from the cabin down to the corner for the strapping under the steel roof.  Stay tuned for that issue.

I really like the way the lines have come out though.  Hopefully a hint of a Japanese tea house.

Then again, Donna thinks it is more UFO.


Meanwhile, back at the yurts, the mystery of the buzzing by Kenny's bed has been solved...



No comments:

Post a Comment