Monday, January 14, 2013

Restoring Water Flow

As I outlined in a previous post, there was really no getting around the fact that I had to continue to use my poly pipe to pump water from the well to the yurts, whether it was frozen solid or not. Seeing as it was frozen solid, and I didn't have any real facilities to thaw out that much pipe in the field, I had to resort to drastic measures.

I had already cut the pipe at about the fifty foot mark, hoping to find the blockage there. At that time I noted that the frozen section was uphill from that spot, so this time around I cut free all fifty feet of cable ties, and spent the better part of ten minutes in a sweaty, fierce battle with the hose, attempting to return it to a manageable coil. Subsequently, I have decided that curses that you only mouth but don't actually sound out, don't count.

Eventually I managed to get it tied into a semblance of circle, and into the yurts. This went better than I feared. Originally I had pictured being unable to bend the hose at all, and having to feed it into the yurts a bit at a time through the door, waiting for it to thaw before being able to coil it enough to bring in another few feet. You can imagine my relief at only having to impose on Donna a tiny bit with this hose propped against the clothes rack for a few hours.

I returned later and began rotating the coil such that bursts of ice water could flow out into a nearby pail. After about five or six full rotations, I was confident that all the water was out of the hose, and it could be restored to its original glory.

This time I was very careful to tie the cable firmly to my log supports, ensuring at all times that there were no dips or level areas for water to collect in.

At last I arrived at the final cable tie. Donna was handy with the camera to capture my moment of glory.

No, I am not holding both ends of the hose apart, ready to connect them. This is where they actually meet. I am hypothesizing that between the hose being installed in 20 degree temperatures, and now being subjected to minus 20 degree temperatures, it has shrunk quite a bit. Add to this my new zeal for tying it to the supports much more firmly than before. Also, there was the little matter of a tree falling on my water line which I'm certain pulled the hose into strange permutations.

I very quickly rigged up a sloppy patch using spare hose and some homemade couplers. Things looked great! I even blew into the hose inside the yurts and could feel no resistance.

At the time, Donna had no need to do laundry, and the sun was shining brightly, so I exercised extreme patience, and we waited a day to start the generator and actually pump some water.

Do I need to say that it worked? Of course it worked! Donna pumped about 175 litres of water without a hitch :).

That in itself is a blessing - knowing that there is still that amount of water in the well at this time of year. Of course, February will be the most consistently dry month, but we are hopeful. Especially since we hope to have a resevoir arranged next year.

Will it last? We shall see.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment