Thursday, October 18, 2012

Building a Vestibule for a Yurt, Revisited.

After our first few snowfalls it brought to the fore of my thoughts the fact that our dining tent vestibule was not going to stand up against any sort of snow cover.

Luckily, after having moved the sawmill, I (re)cut my teeth on sawing up a stack of random sized one inch boards.

At first, I contemplated using these boards to add more structural integrity to the dining tent. After not much more thought though, it became obvious that a fresh start would be a better use of material and time.

I built a rough and ready frame with a slight slope from front to back featuring one or two diagonal cross braces made with leftover slabs.

The sound of my saw appears to have made an impression on the local Whiskey Jacks who have quickly learned that it often means logs full of ants or worms. I noted this behaviour earlier with my chainsaw, but this time even my small circular saw brought them around.

They made out well, as a number of my boards were heavily worm-infested, although still structurally sound. At first the birds were happy to pluck out the worms, but as soon as I began to play along, they were equally at ease plucking the worms directly from my hands.

After a fun break talking to and watching their antics I returned to the vestibule.

I covered the vestibule with the tarp I had originally used to cover the yurt floors during their construction phase. When doubled up, it nearly covered the vestibule perfectly. I added a few panels by cutting up the original dining tent flaps, and stored away the dismantled poles from the dining tent as I knew that items like that were always useful for future projects.

The new vestibule is definitely sturdier and more roomy, not to mention easier to move in (it doesn't brush against the door, or billow in and out at the whim of the wind.

While I was constructing there, I also added in a small step in the corner of the porch to better facilitate stepping into and out of the vestibule.

All in all, for something that hopefully only needs to last the winter, I'm pleased with the results.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment