Monday, May 21, 2012

Pike and Beams

Grandpa's fishing trip was successful! He returned after just a couple of hours, sporting two great sized pike. Kenny was intrigued with them. I suspect that if they were stacked end for end, they would have been longer than Kenny is tall, but he wasn't game to find out. He felt brave enough to try touching them though.I suppose touching the pike in the morning is what loosened him up enough to try holding a toad later in the day.

It was a dreary, cold, rainy day - perfect for fishing I suppose, but hard for getting work done with enthusiasm. It's funny how the day before, it was so hot and humid that I was dreaming of ice cold lemonade, and then the very next day, It was so cold and wet that I was dreaming of steaming hot tea. I think a thermos should be on my shopping list, it would cover both eventualities.

Late in the afternoon, Grandpa and I headed back into the bush and cut down a really large jack pine near the abandoned "stable" on our property. (There actually are the remains of an old homestead on our property - a really, really dilapidated cabin, and a slightly less decrepit stable - you can still see the beams interlocked skillfully in some of the corners.) It was leaning the wrong way, so Grandpa had me winching it towards where we wanted it to fall, while he was cutting. I was re-assured that as I first tightened the winch, he was kind enough to point out a spot where the brush was less thick, saying - "there's your escape route." There is something counterintuitive about trying to force a tree to fall directly at you.


In the end, it fell at least 30 degrees away from where I was standing. This wasn't too bad. I was able to trot out my customized winch cable, and use the tractor to drag the tree through my gravel pit and to my main bush trail. Grandpa decided enough was enough (it was a really biting drizzle at this point), so we abandoned the log and returned the tractor to the tent for the night.

The pike must have made a big impression on Kenny, he constructed a lovely centrepiece for the table, using his Lego - it was a tribute to Grandpa in his canoe with his fishing pole. Donna was kind enough to provide a backdrop of one of the fillets.

This morning we retrieved the previously abandoned log, brought it to the skidway, and I rendered it into the last of the floor joists for the yurts. We made really good progress today I think. We finished the cutting of the floor joists, then I continued to saw up the pile of slabs into 1" boards. That still was completed by lunch, so in the afternoon, Grandpa and I spent our time levelling ALL the beams at the yurt site. We now have the beams in place, and have begun transporting the joists to the actual construction area.

After Grandpa called it a day, I stayed on to oil and fuel my generator, and started it up for the first time. I plugged in my table saw and mitre saw, and was able to use them both to clean up my 1" boards. That's another item that is nice to have working. Now we have hydro if we need it.

Tonight Donna and I moved a few more items to the tent using our own little wagon. We spilled it twice, but nothing serious. Then we discussed a few more possibilities regarding where to locate outbuildings. It's always nice to connect like that - it prevents us from getting too disparate of ideas that would need to be reconciled later.

It's also been really gratifying to hear back so much feedback from my dojo. My sensei posted a link to my posting about the tent, and I heard from a number of my friends back at Golden Triangle Aikido. I really miss them, and am happy to count them as my friends.

This week is suppose to be pretty rainy, that's not so nice to hear - but we take it as it comes. If it rains, I have a number of items to pick up in town, so I'll just make use of that time. As well, I ordered gravel, and that's likely something I can push around, rain or shine.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment