Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Building a Yurt Floor, Part Two

Today was a day for early starts in the Garstin clan. I first woke up around 3:15, and then slept fitfully for an hour or two after that. Kenny woke and called out to Mama around 6:00, so after she went to tend to him, I got up myself. After a big bowl of shreddies, I was ready to go, and, for the first time, I beat Grandpa to the work site! I was a man on a mission - to try to cut and assemble the large yurt floor joists in enough time to be able to head to town to pick up some of the other materials needed, and still be home in time for supper. I was very diligent on making certain that my off-cuts were carefully measured and judged for suitability in other areas, and I wound up with four spare boards!

I was also very proud of how I was able to construct the smaller floor sections without a flat area to construct them on. I simply placed two small boards on edge on top of a beam, then lay the long board across them like a small table, and nailed directly from above into the smaller boards. Then I worked back and forth, putting in larger and larger boards until I had completed the smaller floor section. I suppose my description does nothing to explain what I actually did, but trust me, I was proud of myself for making it so easy. Just the stringers were a difficulty - it's simply tiring to hammer sideways and bent over for half the time.

The Yurta directions so far have been really excellent. My only suggestion is that on the diagrams I was given, there were places where some of the measurements were ambiguous as to whether they were centre measurements, or measurements of the space between the joists. Added to the confusion was again the fact that my self-milled beams were a full 2" thick, rather than the more common 1 1/2".

As I plugged away at cutting and nailing the sections, Grandpa worked on the bush trail, transforming it dramatically from a two-rut trail, to a real driveway! He made trip after trip to our private gravel pit, filling his small wagon with gravel and loam, only to spread it a few feet further down the drive. He worked until lunch, when I sent him on ahead, as I only had to add the stringers before I was finished the joists.

He returned quickly, but his MTD ran into trouble on a rougher patch of the trail that hadn't been cleaned up yet. Some roots got caught up in the belt under his tractor. He began to clean them out as I headed into town in the truck.

I purchased a new Stihl MS170 chainsaw at my first stop, then headed to Home Depot where I picked up the insulation, vapour barrier, tape, and screws for the floors.

I popped over to Canadian Tire to grab a new gas can for the new chainsaw (gas/oil mix of course). And then finished up at Safeway. Safeway is currently my number one wifi spot for downloading updates and apps for the iPad. Sadly and strangely, I can't download those two things via my 3G connection. Perhaps someone can explain why (not)?

I was home in good time for a delicious chicken, potatoes and salad supper prepared by Mummu and Donna. It really hit the spot after a long trip to town.

Oh yeah, while I was pumping petrol into the gas can, I saw a large and dramatic lightning strike on the far side of town. On the drive home, the radio reported this story about the strike hitting an old, tall landmark of the city.

While I was gone, Donna and Kenny checked out the latest load of gravel at the front of the property - it looks pretty formidable to get my tractor into that! Wish me luck!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment