Sunday, May 27, 2012

Building a Yurt Floor, Part Four

I wanted to post another update yesterday, but a new-found quirk of the iPad and our internet situation prevented me from really being able to do so. We currently access the internet via a 3G connection that provides the ability to surf and check email, via proxy, and it seems that the proxy does limit other traffic that we try to initiate. There are three things that it blocks that we do notice:

  • push alerts, which allow applications to notify us if things change that are related to their functions.
  • instant messaging, which would allow us to use any sort of chat programme or VoIP.
  • application downloads, including updates to existing applications.
So, what ended up happening is early last evening, I noticed that there was an update available for my Blogsy application - which is what I use to create and maintain this blog. I initiated the update, which then failed because we are on the aforementioned 3G. This meant the Blogsy software was stuck on "trying to update" - and after some research, I discovered that you cannot abort the update! So I essentially cannot use any programmes which have begun updating, until they complete the update.

Today was constant rain though, so we headed to town as a family, where we stopped at McDonald's, and I used their free wifi hotspot to update all my applications and solve the problem. Lesson learned - I won't initiate any updates until I am logged into a wifi signal and know that they can complete.

We picked up some expanding foam, paint, children's rubber boots (we can't find Kenny's, and generally, the only way to find something here is to buy a replacement for it - then it turns up in less than a day.).

So, getting back to building the floor...

Grandpa hooked up my new trailer to his MTD, and we used it to transport all the 1/4" plywood to the work site in just two trips. The trailer worked great!

After a huge amount of head scratching, we worked out what we felt was the optimal use of our resources. It is definitely a puzzler, trying to fit 4x8 sheets of plywood to a 13' and 17' diameter pair of circles. We did very well though, and ended up using 12 of the 13 sheets I purchased. I anticipate that for the upper flooring we should be able to be even more economical as we don't have to worry about the seams that exist right now to facilitate turning the floor over.

We spend the remainder of the day cutting the plywood to size, mostly using a combination of my cordless reciprocating and circular saws. After a shameful performance on the original joists, they shone when confronted with only 1/4" thick lumber :).

Kenny and Donna came out to help and document, and it was especially nice when Mummu showed up to have everyone there.

With some grunting and groaning, Grandpa and I were able to flip over the 13' yurt floor, and then with the help of some bar clamps, we screwed it together and positioned it on the beams in its final resting place.

That's when I realized that I still needed to add to the edge of both it and the 17' yurt, so I slid it about a foot away from the larger yurt floor, until they were both finished and could be pushed together in anticipation of the yurts and coupler.

The real challenge is going to be finding a way to flip over the larger sections of the 17' yurt floor. It's very heavy, and not a little unwieldy. I'm very open to suggestions! At this point, I keep picturing comealongs, winches, tractors, beams and all sorts of block and tackle type options. I know I have in my belongings a book describing possible methods employed by the builders of stonehenge - maybe I should try to find it and see if it has any notions to offer me?



We knew that the forecast was calling for rain, so we covered up both yurts with the new tarps that I had purchased. We piled stones around the edges, and followed that up with a rope tied around the perimeter. Grandpa also had the inspired idea to place some beams in the centre of each floor space, to make a peak which would hopefully better shed water.

Now it's just a game of watching the weather reports, and hoping to find a few solid hours to take our next action.

 

4 comments:

  1. so i guess the plywood is for the underside of the yurt and you are going to use OSB for the top side of the floor? I remember you mentioning that you were going to use OSB in and eariler post.
    how much do you think the large halves weigh?yeah, block the bottom, secure a rope to the top side, pull it up(with someone guiding and pushing from underneath...or maybe that's not safe!) and over! Providing that fall wouldn't cause any damage to it or something else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I m thinking... Except how to block the bottom when there is very little soil there... Maybe chain it in the opposite direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used OSB for the top and the bottom, but I have the luxury of all gravel fill under the cabin, so very little humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why OSB over plywood? They were the same price for both in Thunder Bay.

    ReplyDelete