Monday, February 15, 2010

Google Chrome OS on Asus eeePC 2GB Surf

   Hello everyone,

   Sorry for such a long delay between posts, just had a busy holiday season with regular holiday stuff, and not much else to report.
   One project I have tinkered with repeatedly and then given up on, only to come back to it when my wife complains about her netbook, has been getting the Chromium OS up and running.  Last night, I believe I finally cracked the code, and was rewarded to a booting, useable, wirelessly internet connected eeePC surf working at reasonable speed.
   I thought I'd list exactly what I did for others that seem to have experienced the same headaches I did at numerous points throughout the process...
   For starters, we're going to essentially follow the awesome steps laid out by Hexxen at his website.  All this assumes that you have access to a Windows based computer other than your netbook.


  1. Begin downloading Chrome Image here.
  2. Ensure that you have installed 7-Zip or an equivalent programme.
  3. Download and extract the Windows Image Writer.
  4. Copy the Windows Image Writer directory to the ROOT of your C: drive.  (failure to copy this directory, and the .img file for Chrome to the ROOT of the C: drive can cause the dreaded and annoying "Error 8:")
  5. Right-Click on the tar.gz image file, and use 7-zip to "extract here".
  6. After that completes, again, right-click on the .tar image file and use 7-zip to "extract here".
  7. This should leave you with a .img file.  Copy this file to the ROOT of your C: drive.  (failure to copy this file, and the directory for the Windows Image Writer, to the ROOT of the C: drive can cause the dreaded and annoying "Error 8:")
  8. Insert your USB flash drive or SD Card.
  9. Enter the Windows Image Writer directory and execute the Win32DiskImageer.exe programme.
  10. Select the .img file in the "Image File" window, and ensure that the proper drive letter is selected in the "Device" window.
  11. Click on "Write".
  12. Once complete, remove your flash drive or SD Card, and insert them into your powered-off eeePC.
  13. Power on your eeePC and TAP THE ESC KEY to select the boot order.  Don't try to change the boot order in the CMOS/BIOS settings - it doesn't seem to be able to detect a proper USB boot from there.
  14. Boot from the USB device, rather than the internal SSD.
  15. Enter "facepunch" as your username and "facepunch" as your password.
  16. Once Chrome OS is booted and appears, press Ctrl-Alt-T to go the terminal.
  17. Enter "sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=4m".  Don't bother with the "/usr/sbin/chromeos-install" advice that you see in places - it won't work on a 2GB SSD.
  18. Remove your USB device, and reboot.
   Full disclosure now - this worked for me, and allowed me to get past many of the hurdles and obscure errors that arise from being an early adopter.  If it doesn't work for you, you're welcome to email me, but I can't promise I can help much.  Also, please be sure to note that this is a destructive process on your SSD, it is NOT a dual-boot.  You will lose everything existing on your SSD by following these instructions.
   I also want to point out that I quickly returned to a stripped-down copy of Windows XP on my Surf, because the Chrome OS still lacked the ability to connect to my network printer, as well as to my network server, both of which are still critical to my family's enjoyment of their netbooks.

5 comments:

  1. I cant login to gmail or any other google services. The error I get looks common in chrome for linux..Any fix that would work ? Changing to SSL 2.0 dint work.

    Error 107(net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR): Unknown error.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get an error on the dd-command:
    dd: invalid number '4m'

    ReplyDelete
  3. the 4m needs to be 4M (as in capitol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i did every thing and it work but i didn't install it but when i went to reboot off the sd card again it wont boot it just stays black right before it would load and say flow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont think the Vanilla release works with eeepC, mine did the same thing as Anonymous, and I cannot find Flow version anywhere :(

    ReplyDelete