Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Summer Sausage

While cleaning up the fridge the other day, I came across my bottle of liquid smoke. As I am often wont to do, I try to clear up odds and ends now and again, so I readily whipped up a fresh batch of a real local delicacy - summer sausage!
As always, it's rewarding to measure out your ingredients ahead of time. You'll want to have:

  • 1 lb of ground beef
  • 1 lb of ground pork
  • 1 tbsp of brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp of chopped garlic
  • 1 tbsp of liquid smoke
  • 1 tsp of black pepper
  • 1 hot pepper
  • 2 sheets of aluminium foil
Get right in there with your hands and combine all these components. As you make it more and more often, feel free to adjust the spices to your own taste. I constantly feel that I need to up the black pepper amount, but in our household, we use a pepper grinder rather than ground black pepper, and my arms get tired after grinding out about a tsp or so.

Form this mix into two 1 lb sausages. I usually go for something about 2" in diameter and 6 to 8" long. Place these in the centre of your sheets of foil, wrap them up tightly, place them in a dish, and allow them to marinate about 24 to 48 hours in your refridgerator.
I set them up on a rack sitting on a cookie sheet, poke holes all over the chubs with a toothpick, and place them in the oven. I am also a cheapskate, or maybe an environmentalist, so I rarely preheat an oven. Instead, I just leave things in for a few minutes longer (when was the last time you followed the timing of a recipe and the item was properly cooked? It has never happened to me.) So from cold, I set the oven to 350F and set the timer for 2 hours. After which, I just turn off the oven, and allow everything to cool off slowly.

Unwrap, return to the fridge, and serve on bread with cheese and funeral mustard, or just hack off chunks to chew on for a snack.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment